4/10/2007

"Link-Love" For Charity

Blogger Albert Foong over at Urban Monk has developed a really fantastic idea to increase link-sharing, while a major charity ultimately benefits with a nice cheque from the blogosphere.

Foong's idea is called "Blog Apocalypse: 2 minutes from you, $500 (to $1,000) to charity from me" Here's how it works...Foong has created a meme. He wants bloggers to address the following scenario: "The blogosphere is coming to an end. You have one last post. What is it going to be? What is the final summary of your blog? What is the one last gem that you want to leave with your readers?"

If you're a blogger and would like to participate, email Albert at albert(at)urbanmonk(dot)net to flag him to your participation. Your meme must include a link to Urban Monk, and, if you're learning of this through me, a link to TwelveYearsOfBeingAnnoyedByChloeSevigny.

Albert will then set aside $1 for each link, saying "If it fizzles out before it reaches $500 I’ll round it up to the nearest hundred and donate that much (so 101 links will net $200)." Foong points out that he's made about $15 per month from his blog, so this is a charitable marketing project that is really out-of-pocket for him.

While he initially set the number at $500, response to the Blog Apocalypse has been strong, and he now says that if it grows extraordinarily, he will consider raising the limit to $1,000 toward charity.

I'm passing this along because, first, I like Albert. He's got a mellowness in his blog postings that's quite refreshing. But also, I think this is a really creative marketing idea. It will be interesting to see how the "Urban Monk's" experiment plays out, and I definitely want to be a part of that.

With that in mind, I will be posting my part of the meme within the next few days. If you would like to participate, or even spread the word about the Blog Apocalypse, visit Albert's page for his summary of the project. Feel free to save the nifty Blog Apocalypse logo that Albert has created and post it on your page as well.

12 comments:

Schnapps said...

Ooh, awesome idea. I'll take a look at Albert's blog and see what I can do.

Anonymous said...

Hi! Thanks for participating, and thanks for the kind comments! $ added. :D

Aspeth said...

Hey, Schnapps...I know he'll appreciate it. I think it's a really cool idea as well.

@UrbanMonk...No problem. Like I said in last weekend's email, I think it's brilliant and really hope it works for you!

Schnapps said...

And you'll get some fairly random incoming links from it :> I'll work on it a bit tonight since Partner is watching hockey. :>

Aspeth said...

Schnapps...I saw your sports-rant over at EN. I've been thinking the same; glad that spring has sprung and all, but it makes me realize just how fucking long a single baseball game can last!

Brian said...

I think I have an idea...

Schnapps said...

I find baseball quite dull actually, whether its playing or watching (and I hit the ball like a sterotypical girl so I mainly go to Partner's games for the beer-drinking that follows. And I'm usually recruited to keep score). Hockey is somewhat more entertaining, but I am a fair-weather fan. They start sucking and I jump off the bandwagon, QLB.

Oh and the Urban Monk post is done :) If you need clarification on where its coming from, email me at schnapps013 at gmail dot com (that's a zero one three). Or if you could let me know if the link is actually coming through - wordpress is a bit of a mystery to me at times. :)

Aspeth said...

Hi Brian! Glad to see you caught word of this! (For the record, Brian writes a GREAT blog called The Science of Apathy. It's packed with stories that you'll find yourself retelling to friends afterward.

Aspeth said...

Schnapps...Sent you an email. Definitely looking forward to reading your post! And in another schameless plug, Schnapps has an awesome blog name, Red Schnapper, where you can find a transcript of Sercasey's debacle "live chat."

Schnapps said...

Aw shucks, now you're making me blush :>

At any rate, I answered - there's an explanation in the email, but suffice it to say: check your incoming links.

Unknown said...

Thank you for pointing me in the direction of this very unique meme. This calls for some deep introspection. It may take me a few days to figure it out. I hope that the blogosphere survives until then! [smile]

peace, Villager

Aspeth said...

Schnapps...I loved it!!!

@Villager...Glad you caught word. Can't wait to see the product of this deep introspection ;-) Methinks the Urban Monk will be happy to see so many folks excited about this!